Lighting has officially struck twice for chart topper Justin Moore in Detroit. The last time the Country star headlined a show at the Royal Oaks Theatre (March 2010), his prized Gibson J-45 guitar was stolen by an enthusiastic fan. Yesterday, as Moore traveled to Royal Oaks, MI, his tour bus caught fire.
Around 4 a.m. yesterday the engine became engulfed in flames while Moore, his band and crew, as well as Valory’s VP of Field Promotion George Briner slept. Moore and his team were en route to perform at WYCD’s Ten Man Jam last night –at the Royal Oaks Theatre.
The fire started from one of the batteries connecting to the bus’ generator. The smoke alarm sounded as the bus started to fill with smoke. Everyone evacuated the bus while Moore’s bus driver extinguished the fire and assessed the situation. In all, the fire lasted approximately 10 minutes.
“Well…we really love coming to the Detroit area. I just hope in the future it gets a little more simple, as far as our trips go!” laughs Moore. “In all seriousness, we’re thankful that we’re all safe, and feel blessed. It could’ve been a lot worse than it was.”
After a half hour of standing outside in the freezing cold everyone was allowed to re-enter the bus. Fortunately, there was no damage to the engine and they were able to continue driving the bus to their hotel. No one was harmed and the bus only sustained minor smoke damage.
A replacement tour bus was sent to the Detroit area so that Justin can continue on his club tour this week:
Thursday, Feb. 17th — The Machine Shop — Flint, MI
Friday, Feb. 18th — Screamin’ Willies — Columbus, OH
Saturday, Feb. 19th — Madison Theater – Covington, KY
Got some country music gossip and don’t wanna be a tattle tale? Email me, Tawny Tucker, Tawny@countrymusictattletale.com