RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter! Country Music Tattle Tale on YouTube Country Music Tattle Tale on Flicker Follow Country Music Tattle Tale on Facebook Instagram

Troy Gentry’s Video of Bear Killing Released to the Public

I received this shocking email about Troy Gentry in my inbox this morning:

In 2004, Troy Gentry bought a tame named “Cubby” from Lee Marvin Greenly, the owner of “Minnesota Wildlife Connection,” where people can photograph wild animals that have been domesticated. He paid Greenly $4,650 – and then filmed himself shooting an arrow into the poor animal, all the while pretending the bear was wild and even dangerous.

Gentry was charged with a felony, but plead guilty to a misdemeanor and received a minor slap on the wrist. Though Greenly pled guilty to two felony charges, he received only probation.

“They literally got away with murder,” states Steve Hindi, President of SHARK. “But now the Court of Public Opinion is in session. We believe that anyone who watches this video will judge them guilty and condemn them as we do. Troy Gentry should never appear on a stage without a massive cry of “shame” blasting toward him.”

In the video, Gentry claims with glee that he shot Cubby in the lungs. While this brought Gentry much pleasure, as his glowing smile attests to, the reality is that when an animal is shot in the lungs they literally drown in their own blood (note how when Gentry is holding Cubby’s dead body, the bear’s mouth is filled with blood). Imagine someone shooting you with a razor sharp arrow and you crawl away, blood pouring from your mouth until hours later you finally die. That was Cubby’s fate, and how millions of other animals that are victims to bowhunters die.

Showing Animals Respect and Kindness (SHARK) waged and won a three-year battle (including a victorious lawsuit) against the US Fish and Wildlife Service that forced the federal government to turn over the videotape of Gentry’s canned hunt killing.

Country Girl wants you to be a Tattle Tale! Have you been to a country concert lately? Run into a country artist while out on the town? We want to hear all about your country music news and entertainment. Email me at countrygirl@countrymusictattletale.com

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

94 Responses to “Troy Gentry’s Video of Bear Killing Released to the Public”

1. cindy says:

What a real jerk, acting like you are sooooo cool by “hunting down” this big mean terrible bear. What a PRICK! I can’t believe a grown man would act like that. The bear was practically a pet! I’m finished with Montgomery Gentry, DONE!

2. brian says:

What a scum bag hope he rots in hell and no one and i mean no one buys another album of his or goes to any of his concerts.

3. Bud Hansen says:

This “man” is a pathetic excuse for a human being!!!!

4. Kim L says:

This is his Facebook page. You have to “Like” it (puke) but then anything you post on your homepage will show up on his page as “posts by fans”. You have to specifically mention “Montgomery Gentry” for this to work.

5. Kim L says:

Let me try this link again, see instructions in prior post (you may have to copy/paste this into your address bar):

6. Linda says:

I WILL NEVER LISTEN TO ANOTHER SONG BY THOSE
    TWO “PIGS” & THE CD’S I DO HAVE ARE NOW TRASH
    I AM CONTACTING MY LOCAL RADIO STATION WITH
    THE ABOVE PICTURES & INFO.
    I WILL BE REQUESTING THAT THEY ALSO DISCONTINUE
    PLAYING YOUR CD’S.

7. Banita L says:

Troy Gentry you F–ing puss.You may as well went to the local zoo and shot a caged animal.He even looked back at you like what are you doing as he was trying to eat.I have truly never been so upset in my life as to see something like this.And you just gloating like your a big man.I hope you rot in hell.

8. tammy says:

So, so sad.. my nine year old wonders why people can be so cruel. We are appauled by this video and I can say am no longer a fan of Montgomery Gentry. Everytime I hear a song sung by them it will remind of poor Cubby. What is sad too is how this still goes on everyday in our country. People who have no compassion and heart kill animals just so they can feel like a “real man”. Well, I can tell you Troy Gentry is not a real man. He is a heartless, cruel, murderer who needs to explain why he thought killing this bear made him feel so maucho. A real man hunts for food, clothing, and shelter. Not for sport or the thrill of killing any animal. I am sure that he will do it again, only this time find a way not to get caught. People like Troy Gentry and those ingnorant hillbillies in the Carolinas who torment bears with dogs need to be jailed. Lets see how they like living in cages and being tormented by others.

9. Carrie says:

My name is Carrie, I’ve had it for 32 years, Im not off my rocker, I am not his publicist, and I am not a “groupie ho he bends over after his shows.” Im pretty sure I covered every slam thrown at me over the last week on here. All great theories though. Bravo.

10. Carrie says:

Tammy….”ignorant hillbillies in the Carolinas” really did you really say that? Does your nine year old also wonder how his own mother can be so cruel and judgmental. I sure hope someone else is teaching him how cruel stereotypes are, cause clearly you’re full of them, and see no problem with them. And why “the carolinas” Troy Gentry is not from there.

11. mike says:

Lets not forget about Lee Marvin Greenly. that man raised Cubby from, well, a cub. For $5000 he’s willing to let you take the life of a family member. Hope his kids don’t need braces. He is in the headlines again up hear. Recently he had a photo shoot with a wolf and her pups in the state park abutting his property(public land where families go and picnic, and I have taken many walks with my dogs). A family came upon the photo shoot, and got to close to the pups, mother wolf attacked a little girl, luckily she wasn’t injured badly, but the wolf was put down. Leaving Greenly to raise her pups. When is this guy going to be put away, and his animals given the respect they deserve.

12. P Jones says:

I’d love to see Troy Gentry put in a jail cell then shot through the door or even better someone could go in and slit his throat and let him bleed out. Just like that coward did to the tame bear who would’ve came up and ate from his hand. The only thing Gentry can do to make the world a better place is to die, hopefully painfully and hopefully some will do it to him, maybe if there is justice he’d be tortured before someone put this individual out of our misery.

13. spun-out says:

Nice shot!

14. DW says:

People should petition this man to do time for this crime, and likewise the Minnesota officials that allowed this guy to get off with just a little slap on the wrist. I am no protester, nor am I even what you would consider an activist, but I would be glad to join them at the next concert that comes to town. I feel that someone should stand up against this kind of an in-human act
    being committed against a tame, trusting, and defenseless animal. To think also that Troy’s Lawyers fought to keep this video from being released because he knew the Bear was tame. You are worse than the so called “Dixie Chicks”!!!!!!!!

15. Jetson says:

Haters Gonna Hate.

MG Forever.

16. D Allen says:

I guess you folks were living under a rock when this happened SIX YEARS AGO!! Can’t a guy make one bad decision in his life? Would you be this upset if he ran over a small child or was convicted of trafficking drugs? For God’s sake, lets get our priorities straight! He paid his debt to society years ago and can’t very well take this back, why are we massacring him now? The facts of this case haven’t changed. The fact that there is a video is awful, especially if you hate hunting anyway. I don’t recommend you people ever watch a hunting show, you’ll faint.
    Find someone else to be appalled about. I guess you missed the recent video of Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert killing a cuddly wuddly little alligator? And don’t get me wrong, I don’t support hunting bears or alligators.

17. Kim L says:

D Allen – I didn’t know about this 6 years ago and many people did not until this video surfaced. Yes, I am absolutely outraged! This was not hunting! This was slaughter of a hand fed, trusting, tamed animal. It’s like shooting your own dog for God’s sake, absolutely sickening!!! The alligator hunters… at least the alligator has a small chance of getting away in the wild, and has a self defense mechanism to be wary of humans to begin with. Poor trusting Cubby never had a chance… there is no sport in that. Only shame.

18. Jamie says:

Carrie-

I never said anything about forgiving Troy Gentry. As time goes on, I’m sure more people will find it to forgive him. However, you ARE sick, because YOU have taken it upon yourself to defend this guy! There is a big difference between forgiving the guy and defending him. What you should do is let anyone who has anything to say, say it, WITHOUT replying and defending Troy Gentry. If you think people shouldn’t be sickened by this, then you are a sad human being.

19. PHARO says:

YOUR MATH MUST BE FUZZY..2006 FROM 2010 IS 4 YRS..

20. Carrie says:

Aww now I’m a sad sick human being, thanks for the judgment Jamie. You must have missed the part when I said I thought what he did was wrong, and I do not EXCUSE what he did. Is that defending him? Read my words next time.

21. Johnny says:

Coward. I have hunted in the past (one buck). But this is beyond belief. My Montgomery/gentry music is in the trash. Send your comments to the CMA awards. Let them know how you feel. Hit em in the pocket book. Bottom line.

22. Jamie says:

Carrie, you’re pathetic. Your tone has been consistent in all of your posts. You’re defending and sticking up for Troy Gentry.

23. S. Carter says:

I hope your career goes down the tubes. You are an ASS, and by the way YOUR MUSIC SUCKS…..

24. Jason says:

Anyone notice he plead guilty to improper tagging of the animal not for an illegal hunt. By the way murder is classified as killing a human being not an animal.

25. Carrie says:

Jamie you must have some technology I am not aware of to HEAR the tone in which I am typing. It clearly doesn’t matter to you what I say, your mind is set that I am horrible person, so why bother continuing to come back at me with 12 year old style name calling. Defending and sticking up for what he did no, defending and sticking up for someone who made a bad choice and deserves a second chance yes, I’d do that for anyone, I believe people can change, in fact I think even Troy and Eddie sing about that.
    Call me whatever you want, which you’ve already done pretty heavily, I stand by everything I’ve said here and no amount of name calling or insults from you or anyone else will change that. And you call Troy Gentry a horrible person, a little bit of the pot and the kettle don’t you think…….

26. Tom Delaney says:

Carrie, I do not want to be mean, but I have followed your comments……and must respond.

You keep saying that “Gentry can change”. Well, I agree that we all make mistakes and can change.

However, this is something totally “different” than just a mistake.

Anyone that would BUY, and than SHOOT a beautiful tame animal…and then go around bragging about it ( as if the shooter was brave ), is a cowardly, heartless, arrogant, stupid, untrustworthy, lowlife bastard.

Sorry, but that is the way that I…..and the majority of the people that have heard of this horrible incident feel !

27. Carrie says:

Tom-
    First you weren’t mean at all, you gave your opinion without insulting me or calling me names. I’m not going to deny you the way you feel, or anyone else here. I agree what he did was wrong, sick, vile, and so on, I’ve said that. What I’ve been trying to convey is that to me it isn’t any “different” than any other mistake anyone can make. For example I have been personally affected by robbery, what the robber did was horrible, but I believe in second chances, and forgiveness, so I’ve worked through the hurt, anger, and horrible feelings that came from what happened. I believe Troy does deserve the chance to make amends for this. Only Troy and the people who truly know him know how this has affected his life. I disagree with your judgment of Troy you’ve made based off one (horrible) choice he made.
    It’s clear people are passionate about what happened, and it is also clear this will be on of those issues we have to agree to disagree.

28. Dan says:

Troy put up a heartfelt apology on his website. He even took the time to handwrite it on his personal stationary.

29. Anonymous says:

who cares its an animal who was hunted … they hunt fenced in areas everyday all over the u.s. the commentator needs to get a life… your the real coward

30. Tom Delaney says:

Wow………..I can see why you are anonymous. You are a heartless, worthless piece of shit, just like Troy. Anyone that does not have respect for animals is scary. You must be of a bloodline from Adolph Hitler.

31. angela from fl says:

no matter who or how you LOOK at this .IT IS WRONG !!!!!!!!

32. Susan says:

I hope MG saved their $’s while their career was going strong! Our family has hunted all types of game for generations. The true challenge and skill comes down to a challege of “wits”. Gentry’s behavior violated all that is sacred about hunting. I feel sorry for the animal…but I feel really sorry for his family and musical partner. He will spend the rest of his life paying for this terrible blunder. Whole situation is sad.

33. Robbie says:

Both of these men are real pigs. His poor acting must be as awful as his songs. These guys need to pay for what they did. We cannot let poor Cubby’s life go unnoticed. How could these horrible people (not even close to a human being) get away with this cruel act. They deserve prison time just like Vick got. They should never be able to own any animals ever again. People like this are capable of doing another cruel act on animals & even people.

34. Bill says:

What a coward and a complete waste of Human Flesh….he should suffer the same fate.

35. Kay says:

So dumb. The way that the narrator kept saying, “The tamed bear with bad teeth” that just made it sound like they are both lying. Who listens so this kinda stuff anymore?

36. Meat its whats for dinner says:

This guy is a loser for shooting a penned bear and claiming it was a wild one. The author of this article is also a loser for posting false information. An animal that has had both lungs pierced will live for about 30-40 seconds, not “hours”. Do some research and get your medical facts straight…

37. shaggy says:

I remember when this first came to light, and this legal poacher didn’t own up to the ethical problem of shooting a tame bear with bad teeth, while “hiding” from the terrible ursa, that probably would have licked him to death. I have finally just discovered and watched the video, which renewed my disgust felt for these(and any like them)two hunter wannabes.
    Troy, may this picture of your true character cause you financial pain for life. This was no “mistake”. This was a well thought out bloody fraud, and if you had not been caught, you would have done it again and again…until you had that ridiculous trophy wall full of ill gotten gains.
    The trash that sold you his “pet” to kill is a worse scum of a person, however I do know that there are others out there like them. We read about them frequently in headlines like, “Man Beats Puppy to Death”….same thing.

38. EVE says:

NOW AFTER YOU HAVE DONE THIS “WORST THING MY EYES HAVE EVER SEEN” HOW CAN YOU STILL THINK THAT YOU WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE SO CALLED FANS OF YOUR SINGING? AND WHEN YOU DIE WHAT WILL YOU TELL “GOD” STANDING THERE ON JUDGEMENT DAY? THERE WILL BE NO WHERE TO RUN THEN boy, I HOPE YOU LIKE IT HOT BECAUSE WHERE YOUR GOING THERE IS NO REST, NOR NOTHING TO COOL YOUR TOUNGE, ONLY ONE WAY OUT BEFORE YOU DIE YOU MUST ASK JESUS FOR FORGIVENESS.

39. Gian says:

What a faceless coward and he calls it a “mistake”. I hope he never comes to Australia

40. Wowzers says:

Oh great, a trio of poor poor things engaged in a crazy idiotic absurd display of unimaginable stupidity on eight legs that doesn’t even rise to the level of slaughtering the innocent!

41. Dan says:

ya’ll are a bunch of idiots especially the guy doing a voice over. This is a “hunt”. The only difference between a normal hunt and this was they new they would come across the bear and in a non enclosed area you don’t know if you will see one. I dont doubt it took 3 days to find the bear and bait it. with that said. It is and animal! Notice how i said “It”. That’s because it is no human. It is not man-slaughter. A bear that at any moment in time if annoyed in any way could snap and attack someone. Remember the Siegfried and Roy’s Vegas tigers that were supposedly tame and then snapped and almost killed the Roy? They are animals.

Category !NoTitle